EDGE's Signposts are independent learning opportunities for communities of faith ready to take a change journey, beginning with the first step of assessing your situation and articulating your story and culminating with a review of your changed ecosystem and framework for visioning the future. Look to the 8-part Signpost Series for assistance with (bolded titles currently available).
The Finding Your Place on the Map Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Assess its current situation and articulate its story
- Identify and orient the team that will work together on this journey
- Recognize that its experience is part of a larger shift
- Begin to identify both the underlying issues and the shifts required for the journey
The Getting Ready for the Journey Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Find out how God is working within it and discern potential next steps on its journey of change
- Tell its story from both the perspective of both the congregation and its wider community, and then place it within God’s larger story of work in the world
- Explore new spiritual practices as a community of faith that deepen its relationship with God
The Travelling Companions Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Develop the capacity to initiate and to engage in new relationships in its neighbourhood
- Become aware of what’s happening in the neighborhood and to what it's being called.
- Understand what a good partnership looks like and which ones to explore?
- Decide who might be a neighbour and what it looks like to be a good neighbour?
- Gather its neighbours and unusual suspects into a conversation about common goals and the abundance that everyone involved brings to collectively achieve them.
The Innovation Cohort Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Reflect on how innovation is ministry
- Determine the components of a good idea and how to create a good idea
- Consider why church is gifted to do this work (or not)
- Understand the nature of collaboration and its critical role in the process of innovation
- Understand ‘nothing about us without us’ and social justice
- Learn about the stages of an idea and how to get it off the ground
- Learn how to validate a good idea
- Identify where God is in this work and reflect upon Jesus as an entrepreneur (the creative!)
- See new ways to move towards greater justice and identify gifts that make this possibility a reality
The Marketing and Communications Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Build out its confidence that its story is worth telling, and practice its storytelling.
- Focus on its offering and grow into its "how" and "what" of the story, recognizing how critical it is to build this skill as a story people
- Incorporate storytelling into qualitative and quantitative pieces of our stories, adding credibility to its work.
The Building Sustainability Signpost contains activities that help a community of faith to:
- Think differently and critically about how it works in relationship to its neighbourhood
- Fill a deep yearning, common in communities of faith across the network, to be relevant in its community and a backbone organization in its neighbourhood as it becomes increasingly vibrant.
- Support the fundamental tools it needs to start along this path
The Future Directions Signpost outlines a dreaming and strategic planning process that help a community of faith to:
- Create a space to discover what might be possible in its context
- Start building the skills that will enable it to flex creative muscles
- Rediscover its purpose, mission, and vision
- Consider its short-term and long-term goals?
- Discuss its strengths and weaknesses?
- Examine opportunities that it might not have considered before
- Take its learning and exploring back to stakeholders?
- Ensure that all contributed ideas truly reflect the direction in which it sees itself moving in the future
- Explore best practices that other communities of faith have found useful as they’ve considered moving in new directions?
Emergency Toolkit -->AVAILABLE SOON!
The Emergency Toolkit contains information for communities of faith in crisis looking for quick, easily-implemented tools and strategies to pivot in a new direction (some available with EDGE support and/or coaching), including:
- Learning about the Community and Building Relationships --> Partner and Stakeholder Analysis, Community Round Table, Prayer Walks
- EDGE Educational and Engagement Opportunities --> Cohorts, Idea Day, EDGE Town Hall Discussions
- Other Resources --> Grants, Other Educational Opportunities, Potential Partnerships
Why the Signpost Series?
Flexible --> Signposts may be taken in sequence or as standalone courses, can be started at any time, and completed at your leisure.
Well-Supported --> Perfect for communities of faith looking for a new direction, especially with support from EDGE's other offerings (Curiosity Cohort, Leading Adaptively Cohort, Theory of Change Workshop, Idea Days, Coaching.)
Economical --> Facilitation by an EDGE coach raises the cost of Signposts, but at base none of them are over $100; see individual Signposts for pricing details. If you require a scholarship or you're an Embracing the Spirit Grant recipient, please contact Sarah at email@example.com to talk about payment options.